The Rutgers University Institute of Jazz Studies (IJS) promotes the use of its collections, and strives to protect the integrity of its materials. We offer digital reproductions of IJS materials, subject to U.S. copyright law and other legal obligations.
NOTICE OF WARNING CONCERNING COPYRIGHT RESTRICTIONS
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, US Code) governs the reproduction of copyrighted material.
Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specific conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not “to be used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research.” If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of “fair use,” that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgement, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Materials viewed by patrons or supplied to patrons are reference copies. Our supply of copies does not constitute copyright permission for further uses and is not an authorization for any further uses involving reproduction, distribution, display, performance, or creation of derivative works, including their use in publications and web sites. It’s the patron’s responsibility to obtain permissions that may be required to use works for purposes other than private study, scholarship, or research, or in excess of fair use.
IJS requests that patrons agree to the following conditions:
1) To use the copies only for the purposes stated below
2) Not permit others to reproduce or re-distribute copies in any form
3) Not to place the copies in another institution, repository or collection
4) Not to place the copies in other locations on the internet or any publicly accessible storage and retrieval systems
5) To assume responsibility for obtaining all necessary permissions pertaining to use of the copies
6) To assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in the copying and use of the copies
7) To defend and indemnify and save and hold harmless Rutgers University, its employees, and the donors and former owners of the archives collections from any and all costs, expense, damage and liability arising because of any claim whatsoever which may be presented by anyone for loss or damage or other relief occasioned or caused by the release of copies to the users of this platform and their use in any manner, including inspection, publication, duplication, or printing by anyone for any purpose whatsoever.
8) That the Institute of Jazz Studies in no way surrenders its right to use the works copied or to provide reproductions of the works for other use.
By using this digital resource and its attendant platform and web site, I acknowledge that I have read the notice warning and the conditions above, and I agree to indemnify and hold harmless Rutgers, its officers, employees, and agents from and against all claims made by any person asserting that (s)he is owner of the copyright to any works being used or copied under this agreement.